Re: Perl DBA Tools

From: Stefan Jahnke <stefan.jahnke_at_d2vodafone.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:42:24 -0700

Hi,

well, what we are actually using right now is this:

(Korn Shell):

create 2 named pipes.
create a sql*plus and redirect input/output to the pipes. have monitoring scripts sending sql requests to the input pipe. have reporting scripts reading the output from the output pipe.

I tried to start this in pipe, but I already went nuts about named pipes in perl (blocking).
So, due to lack of time, I gave up on it.

Another nice thing would be to have a simple Tk-GUI to "remote control" SQL*PLUS via named pipes.
Problem is ... I hardly know Perl ;) That makes things a little bit difficult (I usually stick to Shell and Java right now).

Jared Still schrieb:

> Hello List,
>
> For those of you that use Perl or would like to use Perl for your
> regular DBA tasks, I have a request.
>
> Do you have any tasks you perform with a series of SQL scripts,
> shell scripts, etc, that you feel are somewhat of a kludge?
>
> Have you every asked yourself " There must be a better way to
> do this?"
>
> Or do you just have a wishlist of tools that would make day to day
> DBA life easier, but feel that it's too complex or unwieldy to tackle
> with PL/SQL and SQL*Plus?
>
> I'm looking for just those kinds of ideas for a project I'm working on.
>
> No ideas too silly or complicated. Granted, they may be too silly or
> complicated to actually implement, but you never know. No idea is
> a bad idea until it's thought through.
>
> Come to think of it, the same holds true for good ideas also.
>
> Anyway, let's hear it!
>
> Some examples of tools that I have used in Perl:
>
> * Create multiple users from a CSV file generated from MS Excel. Works
> great when someone asks for 100 users to be created.
>
> * Monitor databases for SNIPED sessions then KILL them.
>
> * Monitor the alert.log for Errors and mail to DBA's and or selectect
> other individuals. Errors can be filtered by type and selectively mailed.
> I've used this for duhvelopers that don't want to be bothered with
> error trapping and send hundreds of emails to the DBA's due to their
> error messages. Que's up messages for 5 minutes or 100 messages,
> whichever comes first ( avoids swamping the mail server in a crisis )
>
> * How about a way to serve up passwords to users for use with command
> line utilities in a secure manner? Oh wait, I don't have that one yet.
>
> As you can see, I have a wishlist too. Lemme hear what you would like!
>
> TIA
>
> Jared

> Author: Jared Still
> INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

> This Mail has been checked for Viruses
> Attention: Encrypted Mails can NOT be checked !
>
> ***
>
> Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
> Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden!

Regards,
Stefan Jahnke
BOV AG
@:D2 Vodafone, Abt.: FIBM