Re:RE: Oracle vs DB2

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:33:12 -0700

true, but when cost is the decisive factor w/ a startup, go with the one of the freebies. if the company was too cheap to buy the right product, time to find a company w/ deeper pockets. now w/ ibm buying informix, merging w/ db2, they will have a new product called db4mix :). the free db's are fun to play with but their skills don't pay the bills.

>>> <dgoulet_at_vicr.com> 04/25/01 08:36AM >>>
So isn't PostGres, but neither is a close competitor.

Author: "Gene Sais" <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date:       4/24/2001 1:28 PM

hmmm, mysql is free, best price of all.

>>> ismgr_at_pctc.com 04/24/01 04:27PM >>>

At 10:46 AM 4/24/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Not true. You can use the Standard Edition for serving web pages. We're
>doing it.

Yep. I've corrected myself on that in another email.

>One thing I don't get: it's $6,000 Cdn for a 1-user license, right? How is a
>1-user license going to do you any good if you're serving web pages? Just
>interested in how the WE Internet Access works.

The 1-user license + WE = a legal DB2 web-database. This according to the IBM salescritter. Got it on paper, too. :-)

>We had some IBM guys in here late last year, and they couldn't give us any
>better pricing than what we could get Oracle Standard Edition for.

Times change. My salescritter is saying that in some cases, IBM is *giving* DB2 away, if there's enough ancilliary business (hardware, consulting, etc).

I guess I should add a disclaimer to my rant at this point. We are a small shop. I mean *SMALL* shop. 30 people in the company. 30K for a web database may be peanuts for a fortune 500 company, but for us, it's significant. YMMV.

Dennis Taylor

Beware of false economies.
Author: Dennis Taylor
  INET: ismgr_at_pctc.com