This maybe interesting

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:47:55 -0700

TO ALL,     I got the following in my daily copy of the Air Force News. It may be of interest to the group as a whole, since this if Oracle's HR application that's getting deployed, around the world. I hope at lease one person on the list is associated with this deployment as the tuning implications would be of great interest to us all, I'd think.

0553. New personnel data system coming soon

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- The Air Force will begin using a new personnel data system, MilMod, May 1.

After more than five years of production, 20 years since the last major system update and nearly $60 million on production costs, Air Force officials have given the green light to turn on the new system.

The switch to MilMod, which stands for military modernization, replaces the 1970s technology, which will continue as the system of record until June 1.

"We are extending the turn-off date to allow a longer and more graceful
transition to the new system," said Lt. Gen. Donald L. Peterson, Air Force deputy chief of staff for personnel.

The new system will support all "life cycle" personnel management functions from recruiting through job assignment and ultimately separation or retirement, said Lt. Col. Ed Oliver, MilMod program manager at the Air Force Personnel Center here. "It will provide real-time updating and reporting capabilities that are not available in today's personnel data system."

All personnel records, including Guard, Reserve and active duty, will be at AFPC and serviced from the field. It will allow more than 15,000 users real-time access to the Air Force's personnel database of 1.7 million records and eliminate duplicate data entry, that under the current system could cause major delays in the completion of a single personnel action.

"Today's automation technology is being leveraged to improve support at all
levels and is the foundation for building a robust integrated personnel system for the total force," Oliver said. "We've also standardized the support we're providing to the total force. This will improve system support to the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve personnel processes."

In the future, the MilMod system may even enhance the enlisted testing program.

"We believe as MilMod goes on line, it will become much easier for us to
make needed improvements," said Chief Master Sgt. Greg Haley, chief of AFPC's enlisted promotion and testing branch. "For now, we will continue to look at shortening the wait time between when someone tests for promotion and when they get the results. MilMod will give us instant access to the very latest promotion eligibility status entered into the system by our base-level technicians. We remain optimistic that MilMod is going to do a lot of good over the long haul for the Air Force's enlisted promotion system."

For more information, visit the MilMod home page at http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/modern. (Courtesy Of AFPC News Service)

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com