Re:Oracle vs DB2

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:26:15 -0700

Dennis,

    First off I will totally agree with your last statement, Oracle is not in line with the market & needs a severe case of "reality check" across the board. What their doing to my retirement fund is close to criminal.

    But, I believe your comparing apples to oranges. DB2 UDB Workgroup is not the equal of Oracle Enterprise. If you want to compare apples & apples, try Oracle Standard edition, now your getting closer to but still not equals. I'll assume you did not get any "special" discounts, they don't happen do they??? At which to burn $160,000 Cdn ($103,381.28 US) you must need 1034 UPU's which in a standard edition license is $15,510 US ($24,001.75 Cdn). Also, what "specials" did IBM pull out of their backsides to get your business, and what "extra's" will you need to match Oracle's total package?? Their WEB page prices workgroup differently than enterprise by several thousand $ US and there's a lot of "accessories" that you'll need to purchase, or not, that come standard with Oracle. They also seem to have a different price depending on the OS, which is not something Oracle does.

    You've got to watch those sales droids, they'll take your T-shirt without even mussing your hair!! :-)

Dick Goulet

Author: Dennis Taylor <ismgr_at_pctc.com>
Date:       4/24/2001 7:57 AM

Disclaimer: I am *not* trying to start a religious war, and I am *not* trying to advocate DB2. I am simply offended. Thus this post.

As some may remember, I'm doing an evaluation of Oracle vs DB2 vs SQLServer to determine our future direction. Here's a datum that makes a significant difference to us, dollar-wise.

With Oracle, in order to make a database accessible to the internet through a web page, you have to buy an unlimited-user enterprise license. We had a senior sales person in our office yesterday, and we asked this question a number of different ways. He bobbed and he weaved, but he did not deny it. And the quote he supplied afterwards does not address the issue at all.

Cost of unlimited-user Enterprise version for our installation (your mileage may vary) = Approx $160,000 Cdn.

IBM, for the same purpose, will sell you DB2 UDB Workgroup edition (1 user), and something called WE Internet Access, for a total price of $6000 Cdn. I have a written quote from an IBM salescritter to this effect.

$6000. $160,000. $6000. $160,000. Hm. Let me think.....

I respectfully submit that Oracle's pricing structure is out of line with market realities, and may have to undergo significant revision.

Dennis Taylor

Don't be fooled by old cliches - He who laughs last may have just figured out the joke.

Author: Dennis Taylor
  INET: ismgr_at_pctc.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 24 2001 - 13:26:15 CDT