Re: HYPER VOLUMES - RE: "Never split index and data files ..."

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:11:21 -0700

Ok, enlighten me...an outside track holds the same amount of data as an inside track does, right? The bits are just physically crammed close together on the inside tracks. That being the case, the actual read/write rate would be the same on outside tracks as on inside tracks. So all you really have to deal with is arm seeks that keep running in and out of the disk. Or, have things changed since started in this business, so many years ago?

>>> nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au 04/24/01 10:51AM >>> ----- Original Message -----

> Ever since ZBR, the need to use the outside of the disk ( to
> reduce seeks ) is significantly reduced.

PMFJI.
The reason for using the outside of the disk is the increased linear velocity there re the heads. Larger circle, same angular velocity, larger linear velocity. Which means you get faster read data transfer rate. Nothing at all to do with reducing seeks. What you end up with is less rotational latency and significantly faster (up to 30% best case) data transfer speed from the silver to the disk cache. From there on to the disk controller and the buffers, it's all the same.

This was explained to me by a guy that works on firmware for Seagate. He sent me the best "disk speed measure" program I've ever seen!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den