Fwd: Re: Where can I find real-life-examples about ORACLE

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:32:00 -0700

attached mail follows:

I'm an admitted purist...I look at denormalized and unnormalized as being the same. I've been on projects that wanted to introduce denormalization because the developers expected a performance issue. After I look at it and disagree, then the war begins. On the other hand, on my latest project, I agreed with a suggested denormalization after I heard all the facts. I like your point about calling it structured denormalization. Makes sense to me.

As far as people making business decisions, why do they need to know about denormalization? That's an implementation issue. If they hired good IT people, then they're ok. If they didn't, they're screwed. Such is life in the big city. We need to get some successes under our belt so we can preach with confidence and having refenceable clients available.

>>> "Eric D. Pierce" <PierceED_at_csus.edu> 04/23/01 02:06PM >>> And I'd be curious to know why you are curious!

What I have gathered so far from the discussion is that normalization zealotry, probably similar to other purist perspectives in life, doesn't get any particularly huge respect in the "real world".

In other words, people that make business decisions have never heard of any "conventional wisdom" that violating normalized db designs will automatically wreck their organization. Like many other things, their IT infrastructure will inefficiently plod along, and suffer the burden of crappy models (grumbling dbas and all....) in spite of a lack of conformance to theoretical orthodoxy.

I would guess that in some cases, an organization's IT folks might be able to present a coherent business case for zealous normalization, but doing so is probably a rare skill, and perhaps even more rarely appreciated by the organization.

Unfortunately the situation for "structured denormalization" is probably about the same, except that it may not have quite the "political" baggage, and so can just be used as a technical method.

ep

ps, don't forget that the word "structured" needs to be in front of "denormalized". on the other hand, "unnormalized" (non-normal) by definition can't be "structured". "unnormalized" implies a *lack* of methodology, whereas "structured denormalization" implies method/rules/order/metrics/analysis/etc.

pss, do you remember reading the Oracle Magazine article on denormalization by Ulka Rogers back in the Oracle v6 (or maybe early v7) days?

On 23 Apr 2001, at 10:15, Tim Sawmiller wrote:

Date sent:              Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:15:29 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
ORACLE

Author: Tim Sawmiller