Re: Where can I find real-life-examples about ORACLE installations?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:48:40 -0700

On 20 Apr 2001, at 19:15, Jared Still wrote:

Date sent:              Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:15:20 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

> > Well, why would you *not* want to denormalize during design? It seems
> > to me that (theoretically) ***if*** you are doing "structured"
> > denormalization correctly, that is exactly when you would want to do
> > it, no?
>
> Unless you detect a performance problem, why denormalize at all?
>
> We always have folks that want to denormalize because they *think*
> there will be a performance problem. This usually occurs because
> they think that joining 3 or 4 tables will be too slow.

I guess I've been under the impression that a good design process would be done with proper methods, including having (legitimately tested) performance metrics.

Are you saying that is an overly idealistic approach for most "real world" situations? :)

> ... Only one table was highly denormalized, and
> that was nobody could figure out a reasonable way to normalize it. Not sure
> if I could yet. :)

Well, as i said before, my understanding is that it was "unnormalized", which is different from "denormalized".

> This may be different for really large OLTP databases with a very high number
> of users, but I've never had the privilege of working on one that big.
> e.g. Amazon.com, etc.

ok. cool. last time I really paid any attention to this topic was around Oracle v6. :)

I'll be migrating a departmental database to Oracle8/9 on NT over the next 6 months or so. It is in severe need of normalization. I'll start with a highly normalized model, and see how it goes.

ep

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu