RE: Parallel Query Option

From: <Yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:39:39 -0700

Hi Chris,

PQO is great if you have the hardware to support it. For example, say you have a large table in lots of partitions, and each partition is on a separate device. Then, a query can scan the whole table way faster, since the query is broken into parallel pieces, each scanning a small part - one parition - of the table independently of the others.

If, however, you only have a small number of devices - say, 3 - then even if you only parallelize to two pieces, chances are the two pieces will fight each other over disk access, causing a BIGGER bottleneck and slower response then you would have had with a single nonparallel full table scan.

Your mileage may vary, but my experience has been that PQO worked great with LOTS of disks, not as great with medium number of disks, and not well at all with just a few disks, even striped. (Actually, I wonder if striping would make it better or worse; ins't that always the case with striping...?)

Good luck,

Yosi

  INET: Yosi_at_comhill.com