RE: Large Redo Logs

From: Haskins, Ed <Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:36:01 -0700

Kev,

In many organizations, the System (server) Admin is not the same person who is the DBA. If the DBA doesn't know any better, and plenty of DBAs don't know the OS level as well as they should...it is possible that the Sys. Admin. setup the file system in a way that he felt was appropriate (possibly 1 drive as C:\ and the next 3 drives as D:\ in an extended partition, and the following 3 drives as E:\ in another extended partition. Why did he or she do that? Because the DBA told him that he needed two partitions (besides the System Partition) that contained 27GB of space, each. Well, the System admin only had 9GB hard drives, so he created the two partitions as "extended partitions" using multiple HDs until it equaled the DBAs requirement of 27GB. He or she didn't know an better!!

I agree that the explanation was too vague, but that's my take on it.

Ed Haskins
Oracle DBA
Verizon Wireless

Author: Kevin Kostyszyn