Re: Where can I find real-life-examples about ORACLE installations?

From: Stefan Jahnke <stefan.jahnke_at_d2vodafone.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:53:21 -0700

Hi,

I actually had to write some Perl scripts to transfer user data from a billing software's DB to Remedy ... and I was eventually slightly surprised that the Remedy folks were really able to deliver a ER model even worse then the billing software's model. But they did a great job in accomplishing that goal ;).

By the way, I think that highly normalized databases (3rd is enough) would support application development if the software designers put more effort into object relational mapping.
I always found it much easier to map objects to a normalized DB. But I guess some developers prefer cramming everything into a maximum of 1 table ;)..... implementing data integrity within the database, huh ? Never heard of that .... foreign keys ? What's that ? "And we have to stick to SQL 92 in order to support ANY RDBMS ever made ..." blah .. and so on ...

Jared Still schrieb:

> Comments embedded
>
> On Thursday 19 April 2001 15:31, Eric D. Pierce wrote:
> > As far as I know, structured denormalization is considered to be a
> > method for modification of a normalized design. There should be
> > disipline/method/rules that try to get the best performance increase
> > in a trade-off for the least collateral damage (extra coding).
> >
> > I get the impression that this is standard operating procedure,
> > documented in industry journals, and so forth.
> >
> > In your experience, what percentage of "real world" dbs are using
> > pure normalized designs?
>
> In my experience, DBA's are scum and developers lobby the managers
> with tales of how terrible life will be if they're forced to write code for
> a normalized database.
>
> I guess I'm saying that I can't recall starting with a completely normalized
> database ( just 3rd normal form here ) and then denormalize if we found
> it necessary for some reason.
>
> We've usually have had some denormalization in as soon as we started
> doing physical modeling. Sigh.
>
> If you're familiar with the Help Desk software 'Remedy', you will know that
> it has one of the worst schemas ever designed by man or beast. If you
> haven't seen it, you would have a hard time imagining it. Yes, worse than
> Finanacials, Lawson, SAP, etc.
>
> ( 'where is he going with this?' you ask )
>
> One of my fantasies is to build a help desk system that runs on a normalized
> schema, open source it, and put Remedy out of business. The schema
> is that bad.
>

> > Has this changed as hardware becomes more powerful and cheaper?
> >

> Hardware, and Oracle has improved in it's ability to join. I assume other
> databases are faster than in years past as well.
>
> > pss, aren't you *ever* going to tell us what happened at your last
> > job?
>
> Sorry, thought I had.
>
> My previous employer laid off several folks. I wasn't among them however.
> Damagement decided to take this opportunity to redeploy several positions
> to HQ in Houston TX.
>
> If you've spent any time in the Pacific NorthWest, you may understand why
> I chose to stay here. Likewise if you've been to Houston :)
>
> ( hope I didn't offend any Texicans :)
>
> I'm taking this opportunity to attempt a slight career change and get into
> the contracting side of things.
>
> Jared

> Author: Jared Still
> INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

> This Mail has been checked for Viruses
> Attention: Encrypted Mails can NOT be checked !
>
> ***
>
> Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
> Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden!

Regards,
Stefan Jahnke
BOV AG
@:D2 Vodafone, Abt.: FIBM