Re: Where can I find real-life-examples about ORACLE installations?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:57:45 -0700

Bon dia,

Keep in mind the 70% industry failure rate, and decide if you need to spend money on outside experts. If you do decide to get outside help, make sure it is good (sensa pallassos).

There are probably a lot of resources available about database design (normalization/etc.) Try the following web site (oriented toward american/english only) as a start:

   http://www.odtug.com

In general, be skeptical of doctrinaire statements about needing "pure" normalized designs. Instead look into "structured denormalization" methods, especially if performance will be an issue.

I know a guy here (venezuelan, abuelos/padres de espana, esposa de catalunya) who works for an international consulting company that has been working for about five years on a SAP/Oracle implementation for a local HP manufacturing facility. They took 19 separate previous legacy systems (all HR, business, manufacturing, shipping, etc.) and converted to SAP/Oracle. It works.

I work at a University, one of twenty five campuses around California, that is in the process of starting up a $350,000,000+ (yes, 350 million $) integration project including converting existing campus data systems to an outsourced (single site, out of state) datacenter running Peoplesoft on Oracle/Sun. The old systems (Information Associates) were mostly Cobol/VSAM on IBM mainframes, but there were several campuses that had other systems, including, I think, several Banner/Oracle student records systems (Unix?). During the project, besides the Peoplesoft/Oracle component, a lot of money will be spent on infrastructure, especially networking, and standardizing support of desktops (PC hardware and software).

Other than that, at this campus, historically Oracle usage has been "minor" (non-mission-critical) mostly in 1) lab environment for instruction of Computer Science students, 2) some small/medium commercial software packages that run on Oracle (NT and Unix), and 3) some small Oracle servers are set up for small departmental applications. I'm one of those in group #3, we do research and data collection in support of grant funding. If we were starting all over from the beginning, it would probably make a lot more sense to use sql server, but when we started using Oracle (12 years), sql server didn't exist. Also, we get special educational discounts for Oracle licenses.

Several years ago, around the time of the "asian" economic collapse, I read an article (business analysis) about how Oracle had pretty much saturated its traditional database markets (large telecommunications companies, etc.) Viola, "eCommerce", a new market was born.

At the big conference (IOUG?) that Oracle puts on for users in the USA every year, the main IT guy at amazon.com talked about how they run their business on Oracle. Maybe someone can find out if his talk is on one of Oracle's web sites.

Several years ago (5?) I talked to a gentleman in the Cartography Department at the University, Barcelona that was using Oracle. At that time the economy was bad in Spain, and I was trying to find out of it was possible to get a job there since my wife is catalan, and wanted to move back from the USA. He said that use of Oracle in Spain was somewhat limited to government agencies and telecoms, and that in his opinion, since americans were responsible for the bad economic conditions (globalism/etc.), it was unlikely that I'd find anything there. Anyway, you should probably call the Universities/Colleges and ask the professors and staff what industries are in your area that use Oracle.

If you have time, please look up International Oracle User Groups on the web, and contact the people in Madrid. If you go to one of their meetings, you can meet Oracle customers, and informally exchange information.

Oracle craporation is considered to be very masterful at marketing (selling their products, $$$$$). You may find that a lot of the material you hear from Oracle marketing people is very "slick" (propaganda). It is a very good idea to get a "reality check" about what you hear from Oracle's marketing people. I don't know if they still have them, or if so, if they are any good anymore, but ask for a "pre-sales technical consultant" if the regular marketing people don't seem to be able to explain technical details to your satisfaction.

adeu,
ep

On 19 Apr 2001, at 0:00, Beatriz Martinez wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:00:22 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
tions?

Author: Eric D. Pierce