RE: Temporary Tablespace Design

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:21:33 -0700

Hi Alex,
 Yes, Thanks for catching it. I got mixed up in explaining the memory allocation properly and left out some things. Sorry.   What you say, is what happens in the very first sort as far as allocating memory in chunks (until sort_area_size is reached) is concerned. When the very first sort operation completes, 'sort area' is left in PGA (UGA for MTS) with the size equal to sort_area_retained_size (after deallocating additional memory, whenever the free() call is executed). Subsequent sort operation will start with 'sort area' of the size equal to sort_area_retained_size and start allocating memory when needed till it reaches the max allowed (sort_area_size). Keeping these two areas of the same value avoids this memory allocation/deallocation process, provided there is enough memory available to do so. Also, the sort_area_retained_size is used in the 'fetch' phase of a sort opeation. So, if the sort had to use disk, then it will help reduce the number of I/Os. This is my understanding of how sort is handled. Anyone knowing more 'internal' workings of sort, please let me (and us) know so I can get this straight.

Thanks.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com