Re: server sizing

From: Don Jerman <djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:18:53 -0700

And I'm just in the mood for a ramble, too...

We stayed with NT too, because we have the sysadmins and engineers already. I have a DB that sounds a lot like yours and it's running just fine on a dual p400 with a mirror for redo and archive log and a raid5 for the data files. The real problem with NT is the memory cap. I couldn't get 4GB at the time of purchase, so we can't use Enterprise server to skew the memory divide, and NT is gobbling up half of my 2GB server. That's fine for < 100 users, but as we edge up we're having to reduce buffer cache to avoid paging, which is bad (although admittedly it's not affecting performance yet). When the buying freeze lifts I'll recommend the 4GB upgrade. It wouldn't be so bad, except I had to install the Java engine for this one, and it's taking a good quarter gigabyte.

I haven't found the RAID5 to be an operations hazard, though, except in maintenance tasks. Large imports, tablespace reorgs, index rebuilds and sweeping updates suffer but so far the small stuff the application sends in is absorbed by the cache and runs just fine. Of course I'm only running about 10-20 write transactions a minute on the DB in question. If that picks up I'll be back to the funding well for more external arrays.

I (personally) would just buy more or better equipment if I needed the small boost that raw partitions would give -- I like the hardware RAID and the OS backup utilities too much to go the raw route. Using more volumes is still a good idea, if you can get them on different controllers, but for goodness' sake don't bother partitioning a RAID. More than 2 channels on a controller may challenge your cache size or bus speeds, so multiple controllers is still a good idea if you can saturate 2 channels. Raid 0+1 makes a difference over raid 5 if you have room in the rack for that many drives, and I'll certainly be doing that if the projects that want the SAN pan out. I keep everything redundant (no raid0) on this class of box, though -- too many things can go wrong, and losing your redo log volume takes your database down.

That reminds me of a story -- Last month one of my engineers noticed a warning light that indicated one of the redundant power supplies in a storage array had gone out. He jiggled the power cable. It was the wrong one... The database files were taken offline by that, but it was night and the DB was quiet and fortunately that array had only half of the OS/logging mirror for that server, so Oracle recovered after a quick shutdown-replace-reboot cycle.

You specified an upper bound of about 2 transactions per second, which should be doable with an NT system with 300 users. If you go much beyond 300 - 500, however, you'll probably start running into memory/networking performance limits on NT. In general, you should consider UNIX systems for optimum performance. NT has too many little gotchas like the lack of memory and process control. Some, like limits on total memory and practical problems with number of controllers, are related to the Intel architecture so you'll need to look past Linux, although Linux can be a good half-step when your NT boxes start underperforming. In moving to Linux you'd get more available RAM and less OS overhead, but you'll have to completely re-learn system administration and then do it again (incrementally) when you hit the architecture limits, as Linux on other-than-intel architectures is not supported by Oracle.

So if there's money I'd look at starting on NT since it's an easy step up, but plan on developing or buying some Sun engineers (or HP, or other) by the time you're ready for those upper limits. They can take you to Ludicrous Speed, but for us mere mortals NT is a good starting point.