RE: server sizing

From: Streeter, Lerone A LBX <StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:39:49 -0700

I'm envisioning various levels of raid just wanted to get something out quick for some feedback. for example, I'm thinking the data files, redo logs, arc log, and control files would be on differently combined disks.

of course some file system recovery and redundancy is desired, but to what level should we go? currently we've got a raid1 set w/ O/S and documents, raid5 with hot spares for our existing mssql DB, and the logs on separate raid5 set; wanted raid1 for mssql logs but other issues arose and we had to go w/ raid5. this is very functional and suits our needs, failure coverage, low processor utilization, etc. but with oracle I'd be very worried about running on a similarly built platform.

I didn't even mention raw partitions, which were stressed as being a better scenario. they offered the suggestion of multiple controllers with database files spread across drives and controllers, this method of "striping" being an alternative to raid. I wasn't too comfortable with the thought of a server w/ raw partitions and no hardware redundancy/recovery implementation, but the performance/functionality benefits were highly praised. so I thought maybe a mix, some raid10 or 01.

maybe a raid1 set containing O/S, arc, and control files, a number of raid0 sets with redo logs stripped across them, and a raid5 set with the data files. then there's the issue of storage, what capacity to shoot for as well as memory; currently we've got 1.2Gs of RAM and I'd shoot for at least twice that.

why NT? familiarity and comfort. we've asked and everyone doted on oracle's ability to run on NT just as well as *nix and being that we have 0 *nix boxes mgmt of course wanted NT. we looked for support in having oracle on *nix but found none and accepted the offering.

thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping some others will offer suggestions or comments, support, or horror stories to help me in gathering information.

I don't know if the additional processing will burden the system based on drive configuration/file system choices. I don't know if a couple of controllers or several will be required, just trying to get an idea of what exists.

we haven't purchased any hardware yet but we need to get an idea soon. thanks again for the feedback, and forgive my ramblings.

Lerone Streeter
System Analyst
Abbott LBG
StreeLA2_at_hpd.abbott.com

Author: Streeter, Lerone A LBX
  INET: StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com

  INET: Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com

Author: Streeter, Lerone A LBX
  INET: StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:39:49 CDT