RE: server sizing

From: <Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:48:08 -0700

Lerone,

My opinion is that your database on an NT platform will not scale as well as you may hope. You are talking about adding 100-150% more data and tripling your users to 300. I would strongly recommend going to a Unix platform for your database. Also, if the database is going to grow that much...it is likely a write intensive application that would perform better on something other than RAID5...maybe RAID0+1.

Certainly there are servers that can handle this load...on NT, but if you are going to that large a server...why not go Unix and increase your performance (I know, an NT box costs less...but if cost isn't an issue!?!).

That's just my opinion...and I actually started my IT career as an NT Admin!

Ed Haskins
Oracle DBA
Verizon Wireless

Author: Streeter, Lerone A LBX
  INET: StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com

  INET: Ed.Haskins_at_VerizonWireless.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 12:48:08 CDT