Re: Free Java dba monitoring tool and Java source code

From: Andy Duncan <andy_j_duncan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:05:36 -0700

Hi Sam,

> As part of my masters dissertation I have developed an SQL monitoring tool
> using Java/JDBC/thin drivers that allows the DBA to see who is taking up the
> resources currently in a database.
> This is not at all a commercial venture, purely
> academic. Plus if you want to learn about Java/JDBC this can be an
> invaluable asset/starting point as you know the subject well and you can see
> how the tool has been built.

I'd love to see your Java Oracle DBA Open Source tool, up on a public internet site somewhere for download! :-)

Some other Java-Oracle type Open Source links you might want to look at, to help further your own work, are:

Apache JServ => http://java.apache.org/jserv/index.html DB Prism, Java/Oracle servlet engine =>
http://www.plenix.com/dbprism/doc/Home.html

Tomcat (replacement for JServ) => http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html
jDBA, another Java Oracle DBA tool => http://www.jdba.org
ViennaSQL, Java/Oracle SQL tool => http://vienna.sourceforge.net

jDBA may the one you're most interested in, but using Java as the programming language for Open source projects, including Oracle ones, is growing rapidly in popularity! :-)

Hope this is of some use 8)

Rgds,
AndyD

andy_j_duncan_at_yahoo.com