RE: Entity Relationship diagrams

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:17:39 -0700

Here's another to add to the list... and guess what - GASP - it's from Quest!! Another one to add to their growing "Supermarket Shopping List"! I'm getting the scent of CA/Platinum here..

Quest Software Announces Release of QDesigner™ to Round-Out Comprehensive Development Suite of Products
PR News
April 16 2001 04:52AM PT

QDesigner Provides Efficient Database Analysis, Design and Construction

IRVINE, Calif., April 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Quest Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: QSFT), a leading provider of application management solutions, today announced the release of QDesigner™, an innovative database design tool that enables users to efficiently manage the process of application design from data and object modeling to code generation, resulting in an enormous time savings for the designers.

QDesigner accelerates database design and construction processes through the use of advanced Entity/Relationship (ER) modeling techniques that include the ability to "draw" database models, displaying an actual diagram of the design before it is applied. QDesigner also allows designers, developers and DBAs to visualize database components, so they can collaborate and share ideas on how the database should be structured while it is being designed.

"Recently, customers have been asking for more functional database design solutions," said Marshall Senk, vice president of marketing for Quest Software. "With QDesigner, we are ready to meet that demand. We believe the technology that QDesigner provides will allow IT resources to be more efficiently deployed in the database design function. It not only rounds-out Quest's development suite of products, but also provides users with an advanced design and modeling tool."

QDesigner automates the process of creating and changing the application components and underlying database structures and is especially useful in environments where applications are utilized by many business units and developed and supported by different portions of the IT organization.

"I've been a database administrator and data architect for ten years and have used other design tools, but QDesigner is the first ER tool I've found that provides such comprehensive design and analysis capabilities," said Donna Maser, database administrator for the Celltech Group, one of Europe's largest biopharmaceutical companies(1). "QDesigner delivers all the positive features of its competitors and more. It is the first product of its kind that can provide me with usable code directly from the model I lay out."

QDesigner joins Quest Software's solutions for SQL developers, SQL Navigator and TOAD, which have been designed to enhance the productivity of users and their applications by providing tools for designing, developing, testing and impact analysis. QDesigner is now generally available with pricing starting at $995 per server.

More reasonable than ERWin as well I should think..

Regards

Mark

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
  INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com