Re:NYTimes.com Article: Myth-Matched Nations

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:11:03 -0700

    Regrettably I don't recognize the e-mail address, but then I don't recognize too many of them. At any rate, and I do want to keep this short, That's one very good article with words of wisdom for BOTH sides in this war of words. Am I upset with China, no not really. I think the leadership could have been more compliant with international law. Surely they had the right to restrict where that Navy crew ventured on the island, but I don't think they should have demanded an apology right off the bat. They should also have already allowed us access to the aircraft for repairs & allowed it to leave, preferably under the control of the crew that brought it in. We did as much for a Russian Bear many years ago. Is not "what is good for the goose also good for the gander"?

    I regret that the pilot, Wang Wei, did not make it back (GOD give him eternal peace), but I place the blame for that in his lap. He had control of that fighter, and it was his poor judgment that caused the trouble, not anyone else's. Fighter jocks as I recall are somewhat brash people. I know of a couple of incidents that fall into the same category committed by US pilots, like the sky car accident in Italy.

    Now whereas I really don't want a political discussion to run amok on an Oracle list: Robert, lighten up. You've expressed your opinion, somewhat in a poor location. Some of us agree with you, some don't. That's life. But at least we will always give you the chance to speak your mind.

BTW: My compliments to the remainder of the members of the list. No one that I read really flamed Robert or tried otherwise to silence him. Bravo!!

Dick Goulet

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 11:11:03 CDT