Re: Free Java dba monitoring tool and Java source code

From: Stefan Jahnke <stefan.jahnke_at_d2vodafone.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:50:27 -0700

Hi,

in my opinion, Jared is only partly right. PL/SQL is a handy procedural language extension to plain SQL. Since SQL derives from the family of declarative languages (by the way, what happened to all the research in the late 80s/ early 90s about hooking up PROLOG engines to RDBMSs ? AFAIK, the major withdraw was execution speed of logical queries ...), but the three together (SQL,PL/SQL and Java) give you a great opportunity to use the OO paradigm within the Oracle engine (or at least you're getting closer to it ;). This might be valuable for developer databases, since they won't have to set up a complete 3-Tier infrastructure just in order to test drive their stuff (besides from within the IDE). I don't know about the usability for production databases (yet), since it might be too messy to monitor and tune stuff once you have both the database and the application running mixed altogether within the DB. I know that a lot of this is done with PL/SQL, but I personally think it's clearer to distinguish between the data and the application unless you run some administrative things. Just my 2 Cent ...

--
Regards,
Stefan Jahnke
Author: Stefan Jahnke