RE: stupid DBA

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:34:50 -0700

How was it mean? Considering how well they seem to do their job, it would be a heck of a lot easier to become a Chinese fighter pilot than a nurse.

Okay, now that I've completely polarized this group, I gotta ask: has anyone on this group run a large scale, enterprise-type web hosting site using VA Linux machines and Oracle? I'm in the process of deploying a couple of VA Linux 4450's as our backend database servers, and will be live with at least one site by the end of this week. I know that Larry Ellison's hobby, Net Ledger, uses several thousand VA Linux 2230's to do some sort of OPS and is running wonderfully, and if Larry can do it I figure I can too. :>)

Anyway, I've been led, bound and gagged, to the alter of Open Source, and I'm gonna be running our web sites on Linux come hell or high water. Any suggestions, recommendations, or condolences will be warmly welcomed here in Southern Montana. :>)

Thanks,
--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana, USA

P.S. 4,000 flying hours in the U.S. Air Force, around the world, have taught me that outside of the U.S., Europe, and Israel the best pilots in the world are Russian, and the worst are Chinese. These are my observations only, and do not reflect the views of my superiors, whoever they might be.

Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com