RE: How to get rid off file permanently?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:11:00 -0700

delicious. :)

On 13 Apr 2001, at 13:40, Gogala, Mladen scribbled with alacrity and cogency:

> ... As a DBA and a gentleman I can not but take
> pride
> in helping people to stop making mistakes.

next:

... John Leo on CSPAN. As you may recall, he is the columnist from "U.S. News and World Report" who gave CSUS President Gerth the 1999 "Sheldon Award" for political correctness.

( http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000103/03john.htm ).

---excerpt---

    The coveted annual prize that goes to a wimpy college president

    Exhausted staffers for this column have finished wading through     dozens of nominees for the third annual Sheldon Award. Named for     Sheldon Hackney, who scaled the heights of Sheldonism as     president of the University of Pennsylvania, this coveted prize     is given each year to a craven college president who looks the     other way while campus newspapers are stolen. ...

---end---

... on CSPAN, John Leo (warm, mild, grandfatherly, caring, thoughtful, principled [&witty]) was talking about the topics in his new book "Incorrect Thoughts" at an event organized by the Independent Women's Forum.

Since IWF's (very interesting) web site hasn't been updated recently, I found some other links about Leo's book that you might also find interesting.

http://www.iwf.org
-

John Leo's columns:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/leo1.asp -

(and: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/jleo.htm )

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/leo031201.asp

excerpt from the above link:

   ... That notion that free speech is a tool of the oppressor is now    mainstream in the campus culture. This is why campus newspapers with

   the wrong news keep getting stolen, posters for the wrong events keep

   getting torn down, and speakers with the wrong views keep getting    disinvited or silenced. Recent nonspeakers at Berkeley, home of the    free-speech movement, include conservative organizer Daniel Flynn    (shouted down) and former Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu    (threats of violence, advised to withdraw by police). Berkeley gets    another chance to oppose free speech this week. David Horowitz is    scheduled to speak there on March 15

(end excerpt)

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000612/12john.htm

excerpt from the above link:

   ... Post-1960s liberalism has lost its communal sensibility and    now talks almost exclusively of autonomy and rights, not    obligation or moral accountability. As Stein [_How I Accidentally    Joined the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy: (And Found Inner Peace)_]    points out, it has
   aggressively labored to devalue society by trying to banish moral    and religious discourse from the public arena. Values are viewed    as matters of personal taste. Even the famous liberal belief in    openness, tolerance, and free speech now looks like a discarded    tenet. Witness all the disinvited speakers, stolen newspapers, and    current not-very-liberal efforts to silence Laura Schlessinger and    derecognize campus Christian groups. What passes for liberalism now,

   Stein says, is often an attempt to impose rectitude, "usually with the

   active cooperation of the news media, government agencies, and    Hollywood, all of which somehow get to call their own agenda    'inclusive' instead of 'narrow.' "

(end excerpt)

more at:

http://www.google.com/search?q=john+leo+incorrect+thoughts

also:

 http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/courses/ed191/assignment1/1970illich.html

excerpt:

   ... According to Illich, "obligatory instruction assumes the    belief that man can do what God cannot, namely, manipulate others    for their own salvation" (1970, p.50). By deschooling society,    schools would continue to exist but their workings would be very    different from those operating at present. Deschooling could only    occur given alternative social arrangements and legal protections    as well as a reconceptualization of what constitutes learning in    the heart of every deschooled person.

   According to Illich, schools are the "reproductive organ of a    consumer society" (1970). Schools produce myths upon which an    economic society depends. Schooling is a ritual performed by    participants who are made blind to the discrepancy between the    purpose for and the consequences of the ritual. Despite the    advertised purpose of promoting social equality and democratic    participation, schooling is "the ritual of a society committed to    progress and development" (Cayley, 1992, p. 67). In his thesis    titled, Deschooling Society, Ivan Illich promulgates four myths    created by the school ritual; 1) the myth of unending consumption, 2)

   the myth of measurement of values, 3) the myth of packaging values, and

   4) the myth of self-perpetuating progress. ...

   ...As the creator, propagator, and protector of these four    educational myths, schools retain their sacred positions as the    purveyor of "secular salvation" (Gabbard, 1993).

---end---

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu