RE: Dropping partitions with data versus empty

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:37:19 -0700

Jun,

Thanks for your reply. We are considering truncating the partitions first. Our main issue is recoverability. Not so much if we can't recover a partition that we want to get rid of but rather if we accidentally truncate a partition that we want to keep. Just trying to cover all our bases.

Probably we will use the truncate command first. We'll just have to have someone proofread the script first.

Cherie

                    "Feng, Jun"

                    <jfeng_at_netsol        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    .com>                cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     RE: Dropping partitions with
data versus empty
                    root_at_fatcity.

                    com

                    04/13/01

                    11:00 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

We have that kind application running on the production and didn't have any problem since it was deployed last Oct.. The application will truncate the one of the table partitions which contains 99% of the data (about 7M records) before reload the data every two weeks. For you situation, you can truncate partition then drop it. It is easy, clean and quick.

Jun

Author: Feng, Jun
  INET: jfeng_at_netsol.com

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 13 2001 - 11:37:19 CDT