Re[2]:Temporary Tablespace Design

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:42:02 -0700

Chris,

    Some of what your saying would lead me to look at the wait_io in a the sar output. You may want to talk with your SA as it sounds like you maybe IO bound.  That being the case it does not matter how much temp space you have, your just sitting around waiting on the drive(s).

    Kirti's suggestion maybe of more help, unless your short on memory. One item to stay away from at all costs is having stuff in memory paged out to disk.  That is a REAL performance problem.

Dick Goulet

Author: CC Harvest <ccharvest_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       4/12/2001 8:23 AM

Thanks Dick and Lisa for answering my question. I think I am going to either let the file auto-extend, or will try a smaller file as a start. I found my temp tablespace is too small(1GB) because it seems like takes forever to rebuild an index with nologging. I have 11 indexes on this tables, and it took me tons hours to do the index rebuilding. My application is a mixed system with 10% batch processing, and 90% OLAP.
But we need the 10% batch processing part should be really fast.

Thanks,

Chris

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/