Re[2]: Basic logon architecture for multiple apps in a db

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:16:02 -0700

I prefer having multiple logons. There should be a generic, self explanatory schema that owns the objects followed by one of more roles that grants are made to followed by individual user accounts. That way it's easy to find out who's plugging up the drain every once in a while. Also if you need any kind of audit trail on the records it's easy to get one.

Now for third party apps your stuck.

Dick Goulet

Author: Regina Harter <rharter_at_emc-inc.com>
Date:       4/11/2001 2:06 PM

We have the users log in as themselves, because that was the only way to handle the permissions properly. We also use fully qualified table names rather than synonyms, though that was mostly because we have data split among several schemas using identical table names. We just make the table owner dynamic and swap in the proper name at runtime. Works much better than trying to handle swapping and redefining synonyms.

Author: Regina Harter
  INET: rharter_at_emc-inc.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com