RE: OT RE: Oracle being scalable

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:37:35 -0700

> Inquiring minds want to know!

You must not be very inquisitive. :>)

You should check out their website. http://wintercorp.com/

||  already have....it's a marketing shell.

List of sponsers: EMC; HP; IBM; Informix; Microsoft; NCR; NetGenesis; Oracle; Sun; Sybase.

||  Yes, "sponsors" provide free food and drinks for the marketing boys, and.....

List of program partners: Amdahl; Bull Information Sys.; Computer Associates; CCA; Data General; Compaq; Gemstone; Hitachi Data Systems; HOPS; Objectivity; Object Design; O2; Quantum; Seagate; SGI; Software AG; Symbios; Unisys.

||  ...partners provide hardware support for deals on advertising.

Here's a quote from the site:
"SBC Communications, Inc. (www.sbc.com), with a database size of 10.5 TB, was the largest site in the program and led all entrants in the category of Decision Support Systems (DSS), Database Size, All Platforms... A five-time Grand Prize winner in this year's program, SBC uses NCR Corporation database management system and server products and an LSI Logic Storage Systems, Inc. storage solution."

NCwho?

||  NCR. They make a unix, too. Or used to. NCRUnix. It had a perl-driven optimizer script for running database servers. Pretty innovative. Surprise McNealy hasn't "discovered" it and put it on Solaris, yet. I think they stopped supporting it and are focusing on their Teradata systems. They are ALOT faster and bigger.

Here another:
"Winter Corporation announced today that two Microsoft Corporation customers have won Grand Prizes in Database Scalability Program 2000. Among the winners are LifeMinders, Inc., an online direct marketing firm based in Herndon, Va., and Inmar Technology Solutions, Inc., an e-business solutions provider headquartered in Winston-Salem, N.C. LifeMinders, which utilizes Microsoft's SQL Server for DBMS, a Dell Corporation server and an EMC Corporation storage solution, led all NT-based decision support systems in number of rows/records. Inmar, which partners with Microsoft for SQL Server DBMS and IBM for server and storage support, led all NT-based decision support systems in peak workload."

||  So, could Microsoft win in a category MOST RECORDS ON UNIX?  Could DB2, which runs fastest on mainframes ( AFAIK ) win in a category MOST TRANSACTIONS ON UNIX?.

There are SO MANY SPECIAL CATEGORIES, that "EVERYBODY IS A WINNER".  It's like a kids' birthday party, where the hired clown gives everyone a free balloon toy. LOL!

"Oracle! Winner of Most Records in an Oracle Database!!!"

WOW! -----Original Message-----
From: root_at_fatcity.com [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Mohan, Ross Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 12:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: OT RE: Oracle being scalable

LoL! The "Winter Corporation"? Which databases were included?

The Olympics one that IBM did on DB2?
The Terraserver database?
The SETI one?
2500 Transactions per second is the fastest they did? A conservative estimate of page hits per second ( "transaction" ) for a web site i know of is 8400/second.

:-) Oh, yea, and How much did Oracle pay Winter for the objective evaluation?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-D