RE: OT : Sinclair was RE: Metalink Again

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:09:49 -0700

I got a Commodore VIC20. Icky. You could only program in BASIC but you could store stuff on a regular audio cassette tape. You didn't need a monitor because you hooked it up to your TV... however you could probably learn more about computer science by just watching TV. ;-)

A year later I went to work for Fujitsu Microelectronics. They somehow thought they could set the standard in this fledgling PC industry. They first started with a Z80 chip and they had a pretty good machine running CPM with a C compiler. (Now CPM was an O/S!) I used that PC to do my homework for my Intro to C Programming night class at the community college. Soon after that came the IBM PC and Fujitsu actually had an early PC clone that ran MS-DOS. Trouble was it wasn't a "compatible" MS-DOS so you couldn't run Lotus 123. But SuperCalc worked OK. Go figure. At the same time one of their largest customers was a small startup company to which they sold gobs of memory chips. It was a huge financial risk but this small startup kept paying on time so they kept shipping them more memory. What was the name of that risky small startup? Oh yeah, it was a weird name... "Compaq." The rest is history.

And now you know "the rest of the story." Steve Orr

Author: Steve Orr
  INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com