Re: HP environment - standby db?

From: Raj Sakthi <rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:56:38 -0700

I would try to answer your questions by a series of observations

  1. Only upto 4 ARs could be attached to a L or N class HPs. Moreover this is possible only if you daisy chain the 2 ARs which will in turn degrade the performance .
  2. The Parallel server Option has to be approached with caution as it needs special application design . So if you are just looking for "High Availability" MC SERVICE GUARD is a good option . It is relatively simple compared to STANDBY DB and easy to implement and does not involve any 'Recovery' or other complications . On the other hand MCSG doesn't give you the option of opening the DB in read only mode and use it as reporting DB either . SO the decision is highly application specific . Hope this helps . Regards, RS
    • Don Dealy II <dondealy_at_teleport.com> wrote:
      > Anybody out there using 2 HP servers attached to a
      > single StoreEdge (AutoRaid) and setting up Oracle
      > for a hot-standby db? Or are you running OPS
      > instead of the hot-standby?
      >
      > Management thinking is to attach a N4000 and a L2000
      > servers to a 12H StoreEdge. I understand that a "HP
      > Service Card" is required that will allow the L2000
      > to be the "fail to" server for the N4000. We would
      > be starting with a 500G Oracle db, growing up to 9T
      > at the end of 2 years. Oracle would be setup so
      > that the L2000 would be serving the "hot standby"
      > database. Or, should we toss the "hot standby" idea
      > and go directly to Oracle Parallel Server?
      >
      > Would you care to comment on the good, the bad or
      > the ugly to this idea? Yes, the 12H becomes the
      > weak link in this idea, but there are budget
      > constraints in this fiscal year that are forcing
      > that config. In the next 2 fiscal years are monies
      > to address the single storage device problem.
      > --
      > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
      > http://www.orafaq.com
      > --
      > Author: Don Dealy II
      > INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com
      >
      > Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
      > (858) 538-5051
      > San Diego, California -- Public Internet

      > E-Mail message
      > to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of
      > 'ListGuru') and in
      > ORACLE-L
      > from). You may
      > (like subscribing).