RE: Unix memory used

From: Armstead, Michael A <maa25681_at_GlaxoWellcome.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:49:48 -0700

I guessed (emphasis on "guess") that you weren't using the memory you had because you originally showed your SGAs were very small. I looked at a Sun server that I run 2 databases on and the Total SGA for my training database was 35 MB, while my production was over 100Mb.

Another thing I said, that was very important is, was I assume that this is only a database server. If your application is running here too, then you have to consider the apps memory requirements too. If your machine is exclusively a database server, then you should be able to divide the memory for Oracle processes, Oracle User processes, and the OS.

Considering what I said, I recommend that you start your evaluation by tuning the memory of your databases because you don't know that you need more memory yet. You may be able to change some init.ora parameters and give yourself some huge performance gains. Management tends to like that! :-)

Good luck!

Michael Armstead
Database Administrator, OCP-Certified
Corporate & Finance Information Systems