Re: Indexes causing a slowdown

From: Tim Sawmiller <sawmillert_at_state.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:20:14 -0700

Yep. As you're loading, Oracle keeps trying to re-balance the tree. Oracle 8i handles this better. I have a client who avoided this problem by reversing the order of the digits of the sequence generated key, so, for example, if your next key is 123456789, you would reverse that and use 987654321 instead.

>>> kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com 04/04/01 11:16AM >>>
OS HP10.20
Oracle 7.3.3 (ya I know)

Every now and then we get the situation were application grows to a standstill as far as loading data. These should all be straight forward inserts. Rebuilding the indexes causes the problem to go away. These indexes are all based on primary key values like sequence numbers. Now I know that indexes that are of that type will not have a balanced tree and will periodically need to be rebuilt but to me that should just affect things that are trying to select from the index. Problem is, it takes a full day to rebuild the indexes on this database and we cannot do this while the app is up due to activity levels keeping the tables locked.

Does this sound like normal behavior for indexes?

Kimberly Smith
Database Administrator
EDS - Fujitsu/GMD
Phone: (503) 669-6050
Fax : (503) 669-5705
Email : kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com
Author: Kimberly Smith
  INET: kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com

Author: Tim Sawmiller
  INET: sawmillert_at_state.mi.us