OT: Prognostications and Timing the Market... was "I'll just go and kill myself..."

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:52:13 -0700

Well I somehow managed to sell off all my stock at the end of '99 before the NAZ meltdown. Not necessarily because of investment savvy but because of virtuous paranoia. Maybe I missed some profits by getting out before the full expansion of the "Internet bubble" but neither have I lost any money after the bubble burst. Not losing money in the current market is an accomplishment so I pat myself on the back. Given that I believe I've out performed most the "experts" over the last year. ;-)

Since I spend my time closely monitoring databases and not the market I play conservative and keep the following in mind. The market is mostly emotional and rarely follows logic or economic reasoning. Since a mass psychoanalysis of all the investment community very difficult at best, I make the following observations about human nature: The emotions of panic and fear are much more urgent than those of greed. Therefore, the fall is faster than the recovery so I'll wait patiently for the panic to subside and observe a few months of up tick before getting back in. Missing the absolute bottoming out of the market by a mere two months is better than the alternative.

Steve Orr

Author: Steve Orr
  INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com