RE: DBA_USERS view

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:14:21 -0700

I forget, did anyone answer this question? You can use it with the (undocumented as far as I know) 'identified by values' option of the alter user statement. This can be handy if you want to sign on as user X without changing their password. Make their password something you know, login with that password, then change their password back to the old password. Example:

SQL> create user x identified by old_password ;

User created.

SQL> grant create session to x ;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> select password from dba_users where username = 'X' ;

PASSWORD

D64698D364A3B171

SQL> connect x/old_password
Connected.
SQL> alter user x identified by new_password ;

User altered.

SQL> connect x/new_password
Connected.
SQL> alter user x identified by values 'D64698D364A3B171' ;

User altered.

SQL> connect x/old_password
Connected.
SQL>