A problem to ponder

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:05:36 -0700

V7.3.4.5 on V2.6 Solaris, if it matters.

We generate a bunch 200+ reports (plz don't ask if they are all necessary) nightly via a series of tasks linked togther via shell scripts.

In February & many, many months before that this one report was averaging 20 minutes plus/minus 4 minutes to complete; night in and night out. Around 5 March this single report would either "never" finish, take 1 - 3 HOURS to complete or complete in about 20 minutes; WITHOUT any apparent reason for the change in elapsed run times.

As far as we can tell "nothing has changed"! We've been unable to discern what is different between the nights where it completes in 20 minutes and nights where it does not. On those nights where it "never completes" if the session is KILLED and then re-run manually is ALWAYS completes in about 20 minutes.

At this point in time this report is an annoyance and a mystery. We can live with the strange behavior, but would like to better understand why the elapsed times are so erratic. Running bstat/ estat while the report was on the system did not reveal any meaninful results.

I'm asking for ideas and suggestions as I'm at a loss.

TIA & HAND!
Charlie M.

--

Charlie Mengler               Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com              10641 Scripps Summit Ct

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 15:05:36 CDT