Re: HP environment - standby db?

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:43:57 -0700

At a previous employer, I've used HP MC ServiceGuard w/ EMC and it worked great. Don't know about Storedge, but can compliment EMC on their storage solution as the best in the business. Of course thats my opinion. Also, used the standby box as a staging db for prototyping new applications. This worked out well b/c the box was being used while waiting for the moment of disaster :)

Gene

>>> dondealy_at_teleport.com 04/03/01 02:00PM >>>
Anybody out there using 2 HP servers attached to a single StoreEdge (AutoRaid) and setting up Oracle for a hot-standby db? Or are you running OPS instead of the hot-standby?

Management thinking is to attach a N4000 and a L2000 servers to a 12H StoreEdge. I understand that a "HP Service Card" is required that will allow the L2000 to be the "fail to" server for the N4000. We would be starting with a 500G Oracle db, growing up to 9T at the end of 2 years. Oracle would be setup so that the L2000 would be serving the "hot standby" database. Or, should we toss the "hot standby" idea and go directly to Oracle Parallel Server?

Would you care to comment on the good, the bad or the ugly to this idea? Yes, the 12H becomes the weak link in this idea, but there are budget constraints in this fiscal year that are forcing that config. In the next 2 fiscal years are monies to address the single storage device problem.

Thx.

dondealy_at_teleport.com
Portland OR USA

Author: Don Dealy II