Re:RE: Rollback seg for an entire session, not just per tran

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:13:10 -0700

Raj,

    OH, I hate to contradict people, but several months ago we had a couple of very long running jobs that accidentally filled all of the rollback segment space with the exception of SYSTEM. The processes all crashed with an Oracle error that said the SYSTEM rollback segment was strictly for changes in the data dictionary. Therefore NO it does not get used for user session transactions outside of data dictionary stuff which we all know does an autocommit.

Dick Goulet

Author: Raj Gopalan <raj.gopalan_at_netdecisions.co.uk>
Date:       4/3/2001 8:50 AM

Dana

  1. System rollback segment will be used for user session transactions.
  2. The only way I think of assinging a rollback segment is by using SET TRANSACTION COMMAND.
  3. There wont be any implict commits in a PL/SQL procedure and on exit of the PL/SQL will also not commit the data. You need to explicitly specify the commit.

Author: dana
  INET: danamn2000_at_yahoo.com

Author: Raj Gopalan
  INET: raj.gopalan_at_netdecisions.co.uk

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:13:10 CDT