RE: Long Raw Problems

From: <TCarlson_at_bunge.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:09:53 -0700

That worked. How simple! I was looking for something much more complicated. KISS.
I assume that PL/SQL is doing a conversion on the datatype that SQL doesn't.
Thanks Jack!

Todd Carlson
Oracle 8i Certified DBA
Bunge Corporation

                    "Jack C.

                    Applewhite"               To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    <japplewhite_at_inetp        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    rofit.com>                cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: Long Raw Problems

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    04/02/2001 01:22

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Todd,

You can't use Insert Into...As Select From... with Long or Long Raw columns.

One solution that I've used is to write an anonymous PL/SQL block that loops through a cursor on your source table, capturing each source row in a PL/SQL record, then Inserting into your target table using the Values clause - where the Values are the fields in the PL/SQL record. It's row-at-a-time and a little slow maybe, but it works.

Hope it helps.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer