RE: why is short bread "short"? / Re: OT -- Friday Recipe was: Or

From: Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:06:20 -0800

I just took a look at amazon, and for some reason all of his books are currently out of print. They are worth the effort to track down. The best of the bunch are:
The Breads of France Recipes from all regions of France. It includes everything from Bagels to bread shaped like wheat stalks, to a really dense flavorful round loaf made with eau de fleur d'orangee. It includes lots of pictures of the bakers with their creations as well as stories about the recipes.

The New Complete Book of Breads No pictures, but an amazing variety of recipes. It includes potato(e) (sorry, can't help the occasional political statement) bread, banana bread, rye, english muffins, pita, chocolate rolls, and even dog biscuits. Hundred's of recipes.

The Complete Book of Pastry: Sweet and Savory Pies, Linzer Torte, calzones, pizza, hamentaschen, apple strudel, and more. You have to try the Strudel. You actually make your own phyllo dough. Run around like a maniac for 10 minutes stretching the dough (longer than that and it dries out.)

One great thing about his stuff is it doesnt' need much adjustment. You can basically use the recipe as it is. He also includes some interesting why's.

By the way Rachel. Thanks for the flourless chocolate recipe. Maybe I'll try it for Passover if I can ever get my cleaning done (or started).

Henry

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

Author: Henry Poras