Re: Re: SUN vs. HP

From: Raj Sakthi <rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:19:12 -0800

C.S.Venkata Subramanian" scribbled with glittering crayon :

> I have been working with Oracle under HP, I find HP
>server with high fault toulerence and reliable. If we
>tune the OS and DB then we can get
>maximum performance.

I can vouch for that . I have been working with HP for more than 5 years and I find it very reliable and efficient OS .
>One word of caution is that, if u use Mc
>Servicegaurd then u shud go for OPS. Which works for
>only on RAW partitions. Administration will not be a
>easy job.

Not necessarily . You can use it for single instance more easily . MCSG is just a set of shell scripts allowing you to escape from hardware failure of MACHINES...not the storage unit . The conf. is 2 machines configured to recognize same mount points from the storage unit . So setup should be done carefully like the ORACLE user id and Group id's should be same on both machines .
>Instead go for AutoRAID box which HP has got. It
>converts itself bet RAID5 and RAID1/0.

CAREFULL...!! This depends . Decision of using AUTORAID should be taken after carefull thought . The AR is a "BlackBox" ...literally . HP refuses to divulge any info on that . But this much is known from experience : AR starts off with RAID1 and as you put more data into it at one point when AR decides to go for RAID5 , all the applications will run into stonewall because AR is busy converting itself into RAID5 and will not process any IO requests..!!! RS

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=text
Author: Raj Sakthi
  INET: rajan_sakthi_at_yahoo.com