Re: Oracle training vs IOUG-A vs ECO

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:57:33 -0800

Sarah,

Unfortunately, you wouldn't get to go to ECO this year no matter what. Oracle User Resource has decided to discontinue that conference. ECO is dead.

Personal opinion:

training classes teach you exactly what the trainers want you to see/know. A conference, while it does not give you the same in-depth knowledge that a class does, gives you a broader perspective on what's out there and how it is being used and what does and doesn't work the way they say. Conferences also give you the networking to be able to ask questions of experts. Many of the people I consult for specialized knowledge are people I've met at one or another conference.

Of ECO, IOUG and OpenWorld, I have loved ECO best. Because it was very small (usually less than 1000), because you got really up close and personal with the presenters, were able to find them and talk to them after their presentations.

Next best (for me) is IOUG. Again, large but smaller than OpenWorld. No sales-pitch presentations. A way to connect with the people who have specialized knowledge.

Having said that, I made it part of the deal that I get to go to at least 2 conferences a year. which means IOUG and OpenWorld, since there isn't ECO any more.

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com