RE: OT: RANT ABOUT OCP, Re: Small help

From: Dasko, Dan <Dan.Dasko_at_cdicorp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:34:54 -0800

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I ask a question when I should probably look up the answer, but is it just me, or do about half the messages on the list seem like they could be answered in about 5 minutes by typing the question into google or RTFM. I mean seriously, I was running into issues installing 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6 x86 and until I worked all the way through the install instructions, I had issues. In the process, I learned a boatload about Solaris and Oracle. No, I'm not slamming anyone who asks simple questions, some things aren't worth the time to research. Kind of like when someone asks for help with a regexp in a shell script. Are we going to tell that person they should become a script guru? No, a quick help is very appropriate. The questions like "How do I install 8.X.X on Linux" or "How do I become a DBA", those are the questions that frost me because they imply a complete lack of effort expended. On the other hand, if someone says, "I read through the docs and this site and that site, but because I'm still new, I don't understand how the Log writer works, can someone explain it?", that's a person I feel good about helping.

Dan "growl"

Author: "Joseph S. Testa" <teci_at_oracle-dba.com>
Date:       3/29/2001 4:05 AM

Lee, i'm with you 200%,

oh and for the original addressee(and others) if you can't figure out what the heck that simple pl/sql block is doing(or where to figure it out), then quit diluting the OCP worthiness, people who study just to take the OCP and have no experience just go to further the waste of paper that the certificate is printed on. :)

joe

--
Joe Testa  http://www.oracle-dba.com
Performing Remote DBA Services, need some backup DBA support?
Author: Joseph S. Testa
  INET: teci_at_oracle-dba.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

This e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of all known computer
viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Center.  However, it is still
recommended that you use local virus scanning software to monitor for the
presence of viruses.
Author: Dasko, Dan
  INET: Dan.Dasko_at_cdicorp.com