Re: Oracle variables; LD_LIBRARY_PATH & TNS_ADMIN

From: Rodd Holman <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 06:14:42 -0800

In /etc you should have an oratab file. It should look like this:

# <oracle notes and stuff>
#
# The line below with the * instead of a sid is for use with tools such as
# OEM and Orasoft. It can be used in scripts for setting the environment
# like the one shown below.

*:/usr/oracle/product/8.1.7:N

<sid for 8.1.7 db>:/usr/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
<sid1 for 8.0.5 db>:/usr/oracle/product/8.0.5:N
<sid2 for 8.0.5 db>:/usr/oracle/product/8.0.5:N
<sid2 for 8.1.7 db>:/usr/oracle/product/8.0.5:N

The oraenv file is located in the /usr/local/bin directory. To run it, export your sid then type .oraenv and answer the prompt.

When I scritp things I usually use a wrapper file to start them off. Here is what I use on my Linux desktop to kick off OEM SQL*Plus Worksheet:

#!/bin/ksh

#
# File: /usr/local/bin/oemworksheet.ksh
#

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib export TNS_ADMIN=/usr/oracle/network/admin export ORACLE_SID="*"
export ORAENV_ASK=NO;
. /usr/local/bin/oraenv
# The following line puts me in the directory where my scripts are at.
# When I use the File|Open command I'm where I want to be.
cd /usr/oracle/admin/common
/usr/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin/oemapp worksheet

The ORAENV_ASK variable is a way of making oraenv non-interactive for scripting purposes. It will execute the environment using the sid variable preceeding it.

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com