FW: Standard vs Enterprise Edition

From: Suhen Pather <Suhen.Pather_at_strandbags.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:28:13 -0800

Oops !!! forgot to send the attachment.

Jeff,

We have a retail application (JDA) using Oracle 8.1.6 using the Standard Edition.
It works fine with very few problems. Size of the database is 70GB.

The application uses very limited database features. No replication, partitioning, OPS, standby database, ... Please see attached document from Oracle Technet for differences between Oracle Enterprise Edition and
Oracle Standard Edition.

If you do not need the extra functionality like partitioning, advanced replication it may not be worth the extra effort of spending money on the Enterprise Edition.

The cost of the Enterprise Edition compared to the Standard Edition is large (2 x).

Most companies purchase the Enterprise Edition but do not even use 30% of the features that come with it.
What a waste of $$$.

Please see attached .PDF to get more insight on technical differences between the both editions.

HTH
Suhen

Due to Oracle's licensing shenanigans, we are looking at the use of the Standard
edition to save $$$$. In fact, our management may even make Standard the de facto
standard while requiring justification for Enterprise.

If anyone is currently using Standard, or has experience with it, I would appreciate if
can you tell me what I lose by moving to Standard. I've perused the features comparision
matrix, but I'd like to see some other feedback to ensure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks,
Jeff T
thomasje_at_tce.com