RE: Opinions on this book...

From: Jefferson, Dean <Dean.Jefferson_at_oci.state.wi.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:06:40 -0800

I have W. Baird's book, "Oracle OCP". Unless there is a newer edition out it only covers Oracle 7.x, not 8 or 8i. I used it to help me pass the first OCP exam, SQL and PL/SQL. It was adequate for that if you also have considerable SQL experience with Oracle or other DBMS's.

For the second exam, Database Admin, it was less than adequate because it did not cover Oracle 8 features. It was even worse for Bacup and Recovery because it did not cover RMAN.

There are better OCP books out there. If you want my copy of Baird's, I'll give it to you for shipping cost, but I'd recommend the following book instead for DBA certification exam preparation: "Oracle8i Certified Professional DBA Certification Exam Guide" (With CD-ROM) by Ulrike Schwinn, Jason S. Couchman, Jeremy Judson

I have been using the Oracle8 version, better for the OCP exams, but more importantly it contains a lot more useful information a DBA needs on the job.

Dean Jefferson
Oracle DBA

Author: Jefferson, Dean
  INET: Dean.Jefferson_at_oci.state.wi.us