Re: Oracle variables; LD_LIBRARY_PATH & TNS_ADMIN

From: Rodd Holman <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:54:37 -0800

Oracle, by default, uses $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin to stor the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora, snmpro.ora and snmprw.ora files for configuration of the Net8 services. If you declare a TNS_ADMIN variable oracle will use that location for these files. It allows you to keep your networking config files separate from the oracle distribution files. Example: On our development machines we have multiple oracle homes of diferent versions 8.0.x, 8.1.7, etc. All these versions use the same TNS files from a directory under the $ORACLE_BASE. Our setup is: /usr/oracle

        admin
                common
                <SID>
        product
                8.0.5.1
                8.1.7
                jre
                oui
                oraInventory
        network
                admin
                log
                trace

We then use the 8.1.7 listener and OEM agent against all db's. We have one sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora configuration for all instances on the machine. One place for log and trace files for TNS issues. It makes administration easier.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a variable that tells applications working with the oracle client where the oracle libraries are. It is version dependent and should be set with the oraenv. Normally it is $ORACLE_HOME/lib.

If you are not using oraenv then you need to make sure that it is exported before you start doing your oracle stuff. All of this assumes that you are working with oracle on a Unix machine.

The discussion applies to NT also except these variables are specified in the registry under \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle

--
Rodd Holman
Oracle DBA

Author: Rodd Holman