Re: Issues with Oracle on a Compaq Tru64 5.1 Cluster

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:13:26 -0800

Murali,

  I will not have the rights to see your TAR. Could you tell me what patches you had to apply?

Thanks,
Jay

>>> murali_vallath_at_hotmail.com 03/27/01 04:43PM >>>
We use COMPAQ tru64 5.1 with Oracle 8.1.7. we had noticed corruption in some all files and had to apply some O/S level patches. We followed the instructions in the following TAR# 13320267.600. You may want to do a dbv on certain files to ensure there is not corruption.

Again we did not notice these problems until RMAN complained of corruption. And we noticed corruption in the redo logs.

Murali Vallath

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:47:20 -0800

   We are running Oracle 8.1.6.2.0 on a new Compaq Tru64 cluster running 5.1 patchkit 1. We have had Oracle running for almost 2 months. For the last several days, we have been experiencing severe I/O issues. The databases will freeze-up and claim that they can't access certain files. Occassionally even 'ls' commands will lock up to, but only when accessing certain sub-directories of file systems.

   Naturally, we are trying to figure out what has changed in the last few days. We know that the Legatto Networker client was installed, and we also had a UPS failure. In an attempt to isolate the problem, we have removed the Legatto Networker client. Our sysadmins are not seeing any problems at the hardware level. We have completed powered the cluster down and brought it back up. When the databases begin locking up, we do see error messages related to various file systems come across the console. For a few days, we thought it might be RMAN, but I haven't used it in the last 2 days and the problems are still occurring.

   So, my question is - are any of you folks on a Tru64 5.1 cluster and if so, have you seen similar problems? The systems include 3 GS80s, an ES40, and a Storage Area Network for the disks. We are not running OPS and we are not using raw devices.

Thank you,
Jay Hostetter

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com