Re:What is best practice - differenet schema/different dbs

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:21:30 -0800

Rao,

    I'm going to differ from a previous return post. I think that you should use different schema's with separate tablespaces. Why? Because your all on one machine therefore all of your background Oracle processes are competing for the same CPU, memory, and IO resources which can and does slow matters down significantly. The best bet in my experience is one large DB instance with a very large SGA, particularly in the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS area. We've tried both approaches with our PeopleSoft development environments and this works much better than multiple instances. Way too much background CPU & Memory burn not to mention all of the wasted disk space for multiple system, temp, rbs, and other tablespaces. It really dings the IO too. BTW: with each schema in it's own tablespace(s) you can still take one offline without crashing the others, unless you need to take system or rbs offline.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Rao; Maheswara" <Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com>
Date:       3/27/2001 8:15 AM

List,

I would like to have your opinion on the following scenario.

We are having an application which is used by different customers (around 15 customers). On an average each customer will have around 1,000 transactions per 5 minutes. Now, is it better to have a separate database for each customer on the same machine or to create all the customers as different schema in one single database?

What are the pros and cons. I am specifically looking at performance and security issues.

Environment:

This application is a 24x7 environment, OLTP application. Sun 6500 Solaris 7 with 4 CPUS. Raid 10. Memory 4 GB (memory can be increased if required). Oracle 816.

Thanks,

Rao

Author: Rao, Maheswara
  INET: Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 12:21:30 CST