Re: NT Server very slow

From: Jerry C <usidba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:39:30 -0800

Hi Kevin -

The bug doc mentions a certain processor, so it could be hardware dependant. I'm not sure if our affected machine had the mentioned processors or not (I stopped investigating after the patch fixed our problem - I'm lazy that way!).

Even though the doc says 8.1.5, we had the problem w/ 8.1.6.0 - it was fixed in 8.1.6.3

Here's an excerpt from the doc for those who are interested.

---

Bug No. 941798
Filed 21-JUL-1999
Updated 28-APR-2000
Product Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition V7
Product Version 8.1.5.0.0
Platform Intel Windows NT Platform Version 4.0
RDBMS Version 8.1.5.0.0
Affects Platforms Port-Specific
Priority Severe Loss of Service
Status Closed, Could Not Reproduce
Base Bug 879133
Fixed in Product Version No Data

Problem statement:

ORACLE.EXE MEMORY LEAK, 100% UTILIZATION WITH INTEL P-3 XEON 450 PROCESSORS

Hdr: 941798 8.1.5.0.0 RDBMS 8.1.5.0.0 PERFORMANCE PRODID-5 PORTID-912
ORA-12500 879133 Abstract: ORACLE.EXE MEMORY LEAK, 100% UTILIZATION WITH
INTEL P-3 XEON 450 PROCESSORS *** 07/21/99 05:49 am *** .

=========================

PROBLEM: .
1. Clear description of the problem encountered:
Oracle.exe appears to have a memory leak when running on xeon processors. Ct
has several instalations running on plain p-2's ok, though instalation on
intel MB, 2 p-3 xeon processors, 1G mem, fails after 2-3 days running This
is with 0-1 users connecting to db fr this period of time. .

2. Pertinent configuration information (MTS/OPS/distributed/etc)
Ct had originally configured MTS, though disabled thinking this may have
been an issue. Still has same issue. .

3. Indication of the frequency and predictability of the problem
This occurs between 2-3 days after starting instance. After occurance of
error, reboot is solution. This is fairly consistent on ct's installation .

4. Sequence of events leading to the problem nothing special, start oracle
service and ionstance, after 2-3 days gets eeror ora-12500 'can not create
dedicated process' when trying to connect. .

5. Technical impact on the customer. Include persistent after effects. This
is a test machine, ct is planning on rolling out production utilizing xeon
processors for performance gain. They are on a time constraint and are leary
of hardware/software purchases utill this is resolved

=========================
DIAGNOSTIC ANALYSIS:
NT Performance monitor statistics

system resources;