OEM 2.1 and Netscape / JRE conflict?

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:02:37 -0800

I am having OEM problems again, this time related to the JRE I think -- it is REALLY slow again. This is with OEM 2.1 instead of OEM 2.2.

I am not sure yet, but I think I am narrowing things down (?)

I used to have problems with OEM 2.2., jre.exe would be way too slow, to the point that OEM became unusable.

I re-installed OEM 2.2, and installed OEM 2.1 to go with the 8.1.6 repository.

Everything was fine, I took a snapshot of three schemas on an Oracle 7.3. database, imported them into an 8.1.6 database, then compared them. No problem, except that the Change Manager report's HTML files was over 1 Meg in size. IE took forever to load it, so I decided to try loading it with Netscape to see what would happen.

I was so happy though, the OEM was running properly.

I installed Netscape on my machine.

I could read the HTML file all right, but later I discovered I can no longer connect to the Oracle Management Server -- it shuts down at the same time as I get a "Cannot connect to Oracle Management Server" at the login prompt.

Could it be that Netscape's JRE might be interfering with Oracle's?

I used to have Netscape on that machine when OEM 2.2. was on it, now I am wondering if this is just a coincidence or if Netscape's JRE isn't interfering with the OEM's somehow.

I de-installed Netscape using Add / Remove Programs, but of course by now the damage has been done and the OEM java components take forever. (e.g. the OUI cannot finish looking at current configuration, it just runs and runs...)

TIA
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle DBA)
Bedford Institute of Oceanography