Hash Cluster Question

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:02:32 -0800

  I am brand-spankin' new to Hash Clusters and we are bringing up an application that uses them. One of the consultants that is helping to implement this application is having a performance issue querying against a table in the hash cluster. The table is empty. The statement is:

SQL> set timing on
SQL> select count(1)
  2 from sysadm.rtx_lt_001;

  COUNT(1)

         0

Elapsed: 00:00:53.85

  I analyzed the schema using estimate statistics, which has seemed to help slightly. Now, I see that the HC_RTX_LT_001 segment has 16 extents, but a min_extents of only 1.  How could it have been created that way? My guess is by using import, without compress=y. I am really tempted to truncate this table, since it is empty, but I do not know if that is a wise thing to do with hash clusters.   Any thoughts or guidelines on hash clusters is welcomed! We are running 8.1.6.2.0 on Compaq Tru64 5.1.

Jay Hostetter

SQL> run
  1 select table_name,cluster_name,initial_extent,next_extent,min_extents   2 from dba_tables
  3* where table_name = 'RTX_LT_001'

TABLE_NAME                     CLUSTER_NAME                   INITIAL_EXTENT
NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------

SQL> run
  1 select cluster_name,cluster_type,key_size, initial_extent,next_extent,min_extents   2 from dba_clusters
  3* where cluster_name = 'HC_RTX_LT_001'

CLUSTER_NAME CLUST KEY_SIZE INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
HC_RTX_LT_001 HASH 16384 104857600 104857600 1 SQL> run
  1 select segment_name,initial_extent,next_Extent,min_Extents,extents   2 from dba_segments
  3* where segment_name = 'HC_RTX_LT_001'

SEGMENT_NAME                   INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS    EXTENTS

HC_RTX_LT_001 104857600 104857600 1 16

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Mar 25 2001 - 23:02:32 CST