Unix question

From: Big Planet <bigplanet34_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:53:35 -0800

Hi geeks ,
How can I do substr and instr kind of operaion in unix shell script . is it possible ?
like i have one paramter as "hostname" .. I want to trim quotes surrounding the hostname .
One more question , is possible to read another text file line by line using a shel script and then edit that file .
Actually I have this configuration file for my system which have keywords like $HOSTNAME$ , $SCHEMA$ which I want to replace with actual values at the time of installation by asking questions to the user.

TIA
--Big planet