RE: Single Code Table or Separate Code tables dilemma

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:38:58 -0800

I'm still not quite sure I understand the "single code table" business. Let me give an example (taken from a live example at one of my previous jobs).

I have a table called DOCTOR that has two fields - SPECIALTY and TYPE. The acceptable values for SPECIALTY are N, FP, OBG, etc... The acceptable values for TYPE are MD, FP, OPH, etc...

If I have a "single code table", how can I create a Foreign key constraint on the SPECIALTY column and another one on the TYPE column?

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive